Satyananda Yoga Centre Birmingham is a non-residential centre, located three miles from the City Centre. It was founded under the guidance of Swami Satyamurti Saraswati and is affiliated with IYFM, with the blessings of Paramahamsa Satyananda.
The Centre has a yoga practice room, a garden which affords the opportunity for karma yoga and relaxation, a lending library and a sales area offering most Bihar School of Yoga books, plus CDs, malas & lotas. Satyananda Yoga Centre Birmingham UK is a Not-For-Profit organisation.
The main focus of the Centre is the provision of a wide range of weekly yoga classes in Birmingham and throughout the surrounding West Midlands area. Currently there are ten teachers associated with the Centre offering not only Beginners, Intermediate and Advanced yoga classes to the general public, but also classes in specialist institutions or special applications of yoga:
- ante-natal and post-natal yoga
- autistic people
- elderly people
- mental health rehabilitation groups
- stress management
In addition to weekly yoga classes, normally there is a small programme of:
- evening courses, eg. meditation courses, yoga therapy courses
- kirtan and chanting of Mahamrityunjaya mantra
- shankhaprakshalana & other salt water cleansing practices twice a year
- day seminars for all levels of students, special interest groups and teachers on a variety of topics
- occasional weekend seminars, eg Mantra Yoga, Tattwa Shuddhi